Caring for our Environment
At Cobden Garden Homestay we endeavour always to minimise our environmental impact. We try hard at all times to adhere to the following policies:
- We recycle all metal cans, glass, plastic, cardboard and paper.
- We use re-useable cloth bags when grocery shopping.
- All our organic waste in composted.
- We use a hand powered mower on the lawns and do not remove the clippings, minimising the need for fertiliser.
- Our garden is fertilised with organic product only.
- We use “eco-friendly” plant based, non-phosphate detergents in the kitchen and laundry.
- There are re-fillable dispensers for bathroom hand wash and shampoos in the guest rooms.
- Laundry is air dried to minimise the use of the clothes drier.
- We have installed low wattage fluorescent bulbs wherever possible.
- We buy and serve locally produced fruit and vegetables wherever possible.
- Free range eggs are served for breakfast.
- Instant water heating for guests negates the need for a hot water cylinder.
- Guest beds are made up with cotton sheets and blankets and feather duvets.
- We are progressively installing insulation into our Victorian wooden home.
- Woollen carpets are used throughout the house.
- We use eco-friendly (non-solvent based) paints for decorating and maintenance.
- We are progressively planting areas of our section in native plants.